Hopp til toppmenyen på siden Hopp til hovedinnholdet på siden

Dental services



The county municipality is responsible for the public dental service and provides free treatment to priority groups. In addition, 19 and 20-year-olds are offered treatment at 25% of the public rates.


The public dental service will provide regular outreach services to these priority groups:

  • Children and youth from birth until the year in which they turn 18
  • Mentally handicapped people inside and outside of institutions
  • The elderly, chronically ill and disabled in institutions and home nursing care
  • Refugees and asylum seekers at state reception centres
  • Young people who turn 19 or 20 the year they receive treatment 
  • Other groups that the county municipality has decided to prioritise

In addition, drug addicts/abusers under the municipal substance abuse treatment scheme are entitled to free dental care.

Service price

The service is free of charge for the first three groups listed. The municipality may provide financial support for dental care (under the Patient Rights Act) for those who cannot provide for themselves. NAV Insurance has its own rules on financial support for dental care in case of illness.

Brosjyrer, dokumenter, kart og lignende

Lover og forskrifter

See the relevant Section 5-6 Financial assistance for dental care of the National Insurance Act and Section 1-3 of the Patient Rights Act.


Pasient- og brukerrettighetsloven

Rules and regulations

Forskrift om stønad til dekning av utgifter til tannbehandling

Forskrift om vederlag for tannhelsetjenester


Guidance - how to obtain this service

If you fall into one of the priority groups, you do not have to apply for the service. The county municipality will reach out to you. Notify us if you or your children are not contacted.

Contact your local municipality for financial support for dental care under the Patient Rights Act. Contact NAV Insurance for financial support for dental care in connection with an illness.



Appeal Option

If you feel that you are not receiving the necessary assistance, or are dissatisfied with how the service is rendered, you can submit a complaint to the agency chosen by the county municipality. If the decision is not in your favour or the complaint is rejected, you can appeal to the county governor.

2019-02-18 13:05
Gyldig fra
Gyldig til