Hopp til toppmenyen på siden Hopp til hovedinnholdet på siden

Special education



If you as a parent are concerned that your child is not receiving proper benefit from their schooling, you can ask the school to check whether your child requires special education.
The school offers special education to students who require a different form of instruction than what is normally offered. Although special education is a right, an expert assessment must be conducted before this right applies. The Educational and Psychological Counselling Service (PPT) carries out the expert assessment.
Special education may, for example, consist of setting different learning objectives for the student, having a teacher or assistant supervise the student in class or providing the student with specially adapted tools.


Students in primary through upper secondary school.


Before the Educational and Psychological Counselling Service (PPT) conducts an expert assessment, the school is responsible for considering and, if necessary, trying out different methods to ensure that you receive proper benefit from your education.

Brosjyrer, dokumenter, kart og lignende

Lover og forskrifter

The municipality is obligated to ensure that this service is provided. See Chapter 5 Special education of the Education Act.




Guidance - how to obtain this service

You or your parents can request that the school investigates to determine whether you require special education and what type of instruction, if any, you need.




Consent must be obtained from you or your parents before an expert assessment is conducted and before special education is implemented. You or your parents have the right to see the expert assessment and to make a statement before a decision is made. The decision to grant special education must specify the scope, content and organisation of the instruction.

You will normally receive an explanation together with the notification of the decision. You will always receive an explanation if there is a possibility that you will be dissatisfied with the decision. If an explanation is not included, you can obtain one by enquiring with the municipality within the deadline for appeals to the decision. 


The municipality will process the case as soon as possible. If a decision cannot be reached on the case within one month, you will receive a written message stating the reason as to why. You will also be informed of when the decision is expected to be made.

Appeal Option

If you are dissatisfied with the decision, you can appeal to the municipality within three weeks from the date on which you received it. Explain what you are dissatisfied with and why you believe the decision should be changed. If you need guidance, you can enquire with the municipality. If the municipality upholds its decision, the case will be passed on to the county governor, who will determine whether the appeal should be sustained.

2019-03-12 09:17
Gyldig fra
Gyldig til